Business marketing and promotion of services has evolved and taken a turn for the better especially with the evolution and entrance of digital marketing.
Digital marketing in very simplistic terms is the usage of social media, mobile devices, email, content marketing, search engine optimization (SEO); internet and other channels to reach targeted consumers. Compared to traditional marketing (e.g. radio, TV, print media, billboards, etc) which most times are expensive, cannot be easily measured or adjusted; digital marketing is affordable, measurable and adjustable .It has provided new streams of approaching customers, understanding how they behave, conducting social experiments and identifying customers intrinsic needs.
Digital marketing is usually interactive and it infuses marketing with customer feedback. It is important to note that it differs totally from internet marketing which is advertising strictly on the internet. Digital marketing can be found on your mobile or desktop device, mobile apps and other platforms.
Some digital marketing channels includes but not limited to:
1. Website Marketing: Websites represent brands, products and services. They are handy channels to execute a variety of online marketing campaigns to sell your products and services.
2. Pay-Per Click (PPC) Advertising: PPC is a means of advertising in which marketers set up PPC campaigns on popular sites such as Google, LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter or Pinterest and show their adverts to people searching for terms related to the product or services. The distinct thing about PPC campaign is that it can segment users based on age, gender and particular interest or location.
3. Content Marketing: Like the name implies, content marketing is all about reaching and acquiring potential customers via valuable and empowering content like articles and blog posts. Such content is usually published on a website and promoted via social media, email marketing or SEO. Some handy content marketing tools includes blogs, e-books, online courses, infographics, podcasts and webinars. Someone once described content marketing as ”empowering people with right information while subtly selling your product or service to them.”
4. Email Marketing: Highly regarded as one of the most effective digital marketing channels, email marketing is the medium of reaching your potential customers and prospects informing them about your brand through constant messages sent via email. This is one sure means of turning those numerous leads in your email list to customers. Mail Chimp is one of the most popular platforms used for this type of marketing.
5. Social Media Marketing: This is a means of marketing your products or services by creating brand awareness via marketing campaigns on social media sites like Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Pinterest and YouTube. Since billions of people the world over can be found on these platforms, it is a confirmed means of establishing the much needed social trust you crave for your brand. It is capable of generating leads as well as serving as a direct sales channel.
6. Affiliate Marketing: Here, influencers(people with large social media followers) promote other peoples products and receive a commission every time a sale is made or a lead is introduced. Affiliate marketing is one of the oldest forms of marketing and it is constantly used by prominent companies. For example, e-commerce giants such as EBay and Amazon have affiliate programs that pay out millions of dollars per month to websites that sell their products.
7. Short Message Service (SMS) /Bulk SMS Messaging: This is one of the cheapest yet effective means of communication employed by companies, individuals, non-governmental organizations and even political parties to promote their brand, services and manifesto. Messages are usually brief and straight to the point. At times a website link in infused in the body of the message to avail customers and prospects access to requisite information. There are numerous companies that offer such services. All you need is a comprehensive contact list and active subscription.
8. Search Engine Optimization (SEO): This is the process of optimizing your online content so that when a person goes online to search for a certain keyword, the search engine will immediately show your online content as a top result for searches of the inputted keyword. SEO is a wide field and involves diverse components and top notch mastery for effectiveness and overall success.
Finally it is imperative to add that digital marketing is a novel and ongoing field of innovation which isn’t static. Hence to be a successful digital marketing practitioner, a person will need to diligently keep abreast of trends in the digital marketing space.