Honeydew melon belongs to the melon species with cucumis melo as its botanical name. This fruit is available in several continents of the world. Some outstanding characteristics of this fruit includes:
1. It can be enjoyed by eating it alone or by adding it to your diet be it appetizer, soups, desserts or salads. This is because it contains rich vitamins and minerals.
2. It supports vision and eye health because it contains lutein and eaxanthin which are potent compounds that are well known for improving eye health and the prevention of vision loss especially in old age.
3. Honeydew melon also promotes proper digestion. How? Because it contains fiber, which is of course vital for digestive health. It’s instructive to note that the more fiber you take, the more it slows down blood sugar and promotes bowel regularity. People with certain digestive disorders will be comfortable with honeydew berry.
4. It boosts the immune system thanks to its high content of vitamin C which is a critical component that enables the immune system to function optimally. People with a good immune system are able to resist and recover from the coronavirus quickly. So taking more of honeydew melon helps a lot.
5. Honeydew melon is known to support healthy and glowing skin due to the Vitamin C content found in it. Healthline.com believes that Vitamin C is a powerful antioxidant which protects the skin against skin damage. Vitamin C is necessary for the production of collagen, which is vital for repairing and maintaining your skin tissue.
6. Honeydew melon is estimated to be 90% water and contains electrolytes such as calcium, sodium, magnesium and potassium. Water and electrolytes keep the human body from dehydrating.
7. It contains several nutrients that are good for maintaining and repairing strong bones. Some of these nutrients are folate, vitamin K and magnesium. Researchers believe you can meet about 40% of your daily magnesium needs with just one serving of honeydew melon. It also contains small amounts of bone supporting nutrients such as calcium and phosphorus.
8. Its low sodium and potassium rich nature makes it the ideal fruit to help maintain healthy blood pressure levels thereby reducing the risk of heart disease.
9. Finally, honeydew is rich in the following nutrients: magnesium, potassium, vitamin K, folate, vitamin B6, vitamin C, fat, fiber, carbs and calories. Thereby making it a wholesome and highly nutritious fruit.